Additive 3 color: Lenticular screen
Ryan, Roderick T. (1977): A History of Motion Picture Color Technology. London: Focal Press, pp. 50-51.
Kislyn color was a three-color additive system based on the 1909 invention of Rudolph Berthon. This process used a banded three-color filter to expose black and white film through an embossed lenticular base.
The Kislyn Corporation which was formed for the development and promotion of Berthon’s process in the United States was founded in 1930 by the principals Kessel, Kennicutt and Merrill Lynch. During the period of 1930-1931 a research program was conducted in Englewood, N.J. by C. L. Gregory, the Company’s technical director. As a result of this program several U.S. patents were issued.
Although showing great promise the process was not used commercially in the U.S. The laboratory was closed in December, 1931. This relatively short life was due to a number of factors: the general depression of business in the U.S., technical difficulties in producing the release prints, and a series of law suits regarding patents between Berthon and his former associates, Societé du Film in Couleurs Keller-Dorian. After the close of the Kislyn plant Berthon and his Societé Françoise Cinechromatique continued to work toward perfecting the process. Also, the German version of the process Opticolor was continued by Siemens and Halske.2 In 1936 the first short feature film The Beauty Spot had its premier in Berlin. This film was followed by a documentary on Germany, shown to the Paris exhibition in 1937. Siemens closed their laboratory in 1939.
2 KOSHOFER, GERT, “30 Years of Modern Colour Photography.” British Journal of Photography, July 1966, p. 563.”
(Ryan, Roderick T. (1977): A History of Motion Picture Color Technology. London: Focal Press, pp. 50-51.)
Timeline of Historical Film Colors by Barbara Flueckiger is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.